Thai Binh is a coastal province in the Red River Delta with a surface area of 1,534.4 km2 and a population of approximately 1.8 million.
During the natural transformation process of the Northern Delta, which lasted for many millenniums, Thai Binh land was formed mainly due to the alluvial deposition of two major rivers namely: The Red and Thai Binh rivers together with with the soil reclamation of various generations of residents. Around the 7th-6th century BC, the first inhabitants from the foot of Ba Vi Mountain, Tam Dao, together with those from the valleys and midlands of Phu Tho, Son Tay ... gradually moved to the lower coastal wetlands of the Red River. The attraction of the fertile alluvial land, favorable for fishery and wet rice cultivation, has quickly attracted a great number of people in search for a peaceful, stable place to settle. During some very first centuries BC, most of Thai Binh land had been reclaimed; concentrated areas had been formed to create a diverse and bustling life for local residents.
Along with the process of forming land and residences, the area of Thai Binh has been included in the national administrative geography with many different levels and changes. In early AD, Thai Binh was located at the end of the southern region of Chu Dien and Giao Chi districts. In the tenth century, when Ngo Quyen proclaimed himself the King, Thai Binh belonged to Dang Chau land (including Thai Binh and Hung Yen later). In the First Le dynasty, in the ninth year of Thien Ung (1002), Lê Đại Hành changed the administrative system. When Le Long Dinh (1005-1009) came to the throne, he renamed Dang Chau into Thai Binh district, according to "Dai Viet historiography", that was how Thai Binh got its modern name. It was not until the Tran dynasty, from the thirteenth century onwards that the region of Thai Binh was clearly delimited in the nation’s history. In 1252, Tran Thai Tong changed the administration system once more. Thai Binh then belonged to the district of Long Hung and the subdistricts of Kien Xuong and An Tiem. In the Early Le Dynasty (1428-1527), the country was divided into 5 regions. In the 10th year of Quang Thuan (1469), Le Thanh Tong subdivided the regions into 13 subregions and abandoned intermediate administrative units such as town and subtown; At that time, Thai Binh belonged to Nam Dao, later became by Son Nam region. In 1741, Le Hien Tong changed region to be a town and divided Son Nam into two towns: Son Nam Thuong and Son Nam Ha, Thai Binh, at the time, belonged to Son Nam Ha town. During the Nguyen Dynasty, in the third Minh Mang year (1822), initially the entire Thai Binh’s area was included in the town of Nam Dinh and later included in Hung Yen and Nam Dinh provinces.
On March 21st, 1890, French governor general of Indochina issued a decree that marked the establishment of Thai Binh province, including the districts of Thanh Quan, Thuy Anh, Dong Quan, Truc Dinh, Thu Tri, Vu Tien, Tien Hai, Phu Duc and Quynh. Coi (of Nam Dinh) and Than Khe district (of Hung Yen). In the 6th Thanh Thai year (1894), two more districts of Hung Nhan and Duyen Ha (belonging to Hung Yen province) were merged back to Thai Binh. At this time, Thai Binh was recognised as a province - an independent administrative unit consisting of 3 prefectures accordingly: Tien Hung, Kien Xuong, Thai Ninh and 12 districts: Duyen Ha, Hung Nhan, Tien Hung, Thuy Anh, Dong Quan , Thai Ninh, Quynh Coi, Phu Duc, Thu Tri, Vu Tien, Truc Dinh and Tien Hai.
In the early years of the twentieth century, the French re-decentralized the management apparatus in the province. Prefecture and district were the same administrative levels directly managed by the provincial level. At the same time, Thai Binh had 3 prefectures, 9 districts and 1 provincial capital, including Kien Xuong, Thai Ninh and Tien Hung prefectures and Vu Tien, Thu Tri, Tien Hai, Dong Quan, Thuy Anh, Phu Duc, Quynh Coi, Hung Nhan, Duyen Ha districts, and Thai Binh town.
After the August 1945 revolution, on April 10th, 1946, the provincial People's Council decided to abandon the general-prefecture unit and convert prefecture units into districts. The whole province back then had 12 districts, 1 town with 829 communes and villages.
On June 17th, 1969, the Government Council issued Decision No. 93-QD/CP on the consolidation and adjustment of boundaries, Thai Binh had 7 districts and 1 town. In 2004, Thai Binh Town was officially recognized as a provincial city (according to the Government's Decree No. 117/2004 / ND-CP, April 29, 2004).